Organisation: No 10
Closing date: Friday 21 August 2020
Salary: To be determined based on experience
Intro from the Prime Minister’s Director of Communications:
This is a unique opportunity to work at the centre of government and communicate with the nation on behalf of the Prime Minister.
The successful candidate will become a trusted political adviser to the Prime Minister and member of the senior team at Downing Street, reporting into the Prime Minister’s Director of Communications.
You will represent the government and the Prime Minister to an audience of millions on a daily basis, across the main broadcast channels and social media, and have the chance to influence and shape public opinion.
You will speak directly to the public on the issues they care most about, explaining the government’s position, reassuring people that we are taking action on their priorities and driving positive changes.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape communications for the Prime Minister and the government, and will need to:
- Regularly give on-the-record televised briefings to the media.
- Provide trusted media advice to the Prime Minister and his wider political team.
- Support the Prime Minister’s Director of Communications to provide leadership in No 10 and across Whitehall on communications strategy.
The demands of the post are high and it will appeal to an experienced and confident media operator who would enjoy working on camera and with senior ministers, political advisers, officials and journalists; who would relish the challenge and pace of televised briefing; and who has a strong grasp of foreign and domestic policy issues.
- Leading and promoting the communication of government priorities through televised briefings to the media.
- Setting the vision, direction and strategy for briefing the press on behalf of the Prime Minister.
- Supporting the Prime Minister’s Director of Communications to provide leadership and strategic oversight of No 10 communications in all policy areas.
Working in the Prime Minister’s communications team involves working under pressure and to immovable deadlines as well as routine out of hours work and travel.
This is a political role, and a keen understanding of political issues will be essential, alongside:
- First rate news judgement under pressure.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and concisely to the public.
- Ability to communicate with impact in a televised environment.
- Strong grasp of the wider media and political context in which the government operates.
- Excellent risk management and crisis communications skills.
- Proven experience of acting as a senior spokesperson or senior journalist, with the ability to remain calm and measured under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as you will work closely with colleagues in No 10 and across Whitehall – and lead the decision-making process where appropriate.
The successful candidate must be willing to undergo security clearance.
To apply, please email a CV and statement of suitability of no more than 500 words to email@example.com by Friday 21 August 2020.